Hey everybody!
I can't believe that I'm finishing the 3rd week of my internship! Wow time goes by so fast!
I would like to give you an insight of the culture here:
1.People eat bread with EVERY meal and there are bakeries everywhere.
2. We greet our colleagues every morning by shaking their hands.
3. Etiquette is EXTREMELY important. In France people are very nice and helpful. However, when you approach strangers (on the road, bakery, grocery store etc..) you have to be very formal like : ''Bonjour madame , Bonjour monsieur''...no '' Hi'' or ''Hey''. If you don't say ''Bonjour'' they feel very offended.
4. Also, you do not call your boss by his/her first name. When you speak to your boss you have to use ''Mr./Mrs. and his/her last name''.
5. Lunch is sacred here. It lasts for about 1.5-2 hours! lol
6. French people love Canadians :p
7. They are very laid back! lol
8. They love motorcyles and wine.
Hmm I think that's basicly it...:D So how's the culture in your host countries?
Also, here's some pics of Bordeaux and my office.
Keep in touch!
Cheers
Karene
Wow, that is quite the contrast indeed to the NZGBC! My boss is "Alex", she's given me her cell number in case of emergency and lent me a couple of blankets and a bedside lamp to make me feel more comfortable in my new home!
ReplyDeleteOn friday's it's customary to go for "beer(or wine)-runs" for the entire office (often initiated by the powers-that-be. It's all so relaxed! Though of course everyone is respectful!
Sounds like you're really enjoying it all Karene, it's great to see your photos!
Definitely some similarities and differences haha.
ReplyDelete- Motorcycles are loved here as well.
- We use first names to address our bosses. Pak is Mr. and Ibu is Mrs.
So I would be Pak Laszlo.
well more like Mas Laszlo. (for younger men)
- Lunch is equally as important and long.
- Bread is hard to find!
Have an amazing next week! (aren't we so lucky?!)
Even young men might be called Pak - it depends on whether they have kids or not...
ReplyDeletemotorcycles are loved here becuase they are the most efficient mode of transportation in the city. why are they loved so much in Paris? same reason? or just because people are so much cooler on motorcycles?
Hmmm I think they use it because they feel cool on motorcycles! lol I kinda hate them though because sometimes I don't see them coming and they are really fast! I almost got hit by one of those a couple of times! lol
ReplyDeleteAwesome & insightful Karene. Now if only I can convince our office of the 2 hour lunch & wine/beer run (a la NZGBC!)
ReplyDelete